Convent Glen – Orléans Woods
Convent Glen – Orléans Wood covers the north-west area of Orléans. The community is bordered by the National Capital Greenbelt to the west, the Ottawa River to the north, Champlain St. to the east and St. Joseph Blvd. to the south. The community is served by the Jeanne d’Arc Transitway Station.
It is an established area, with many of the homes having been built during the 1970s. One of the oldest buildings is the St. Joseph Church (2757 St. Joseph Blvd.), completed in 1920. Both Anglophones and Francophones are well-represented in the community and this is reflected in the availability of schools. The community is also home to Taffy Lane, where crowds gather each December to see amazing Christmas light displays.
One of the most distinctive features of the area is its intricate system of pathways and green space. This includes a paved pathway along the river, which is popular with bicyclists, roller-bladers, walkers and cross-country skiers. It also includes several other off-road paths that criss-cross the community and link parks and neighbourhoods. Additional outdoor recreation facilities include city-operated splash pads and ice rinks.
The community also has two indoor recreation facilities. The Bob MacQuarrie Recreational Complex (1490 Youville Dr.) features an aquatic centre, arenas, a fitness centre, meeting rooms and halls and the Roy G. Hobbs Community Hall (109 Larch Cres.) acts as a seniors’ centre and provides a space for various activities.