Wellington Village neighbourhood is bound by the Ottawa River on the north, Highway 417 on the south, Parkdale Avenue (to the north of Scott Street) and Holland Avenue on the east, and Island Park Drive to the west. The area includes Tunney’s Pasture, a 121-acre area that is exclusively developed for federal government buildings, and the communities of Wellington Village, Island Park, Fisher Park, Hampton Park and Elmdale.
In 1910 the Ottawa Improvement Commission constructed Island Park Drive (then named The Ottawa Improvement Commission Driveway) as well as a series of bridges in the area which connected the Ottawa shore to the islands located between Ontario and Quebec. Those islands became known as Island Park. The grand homes located on Island Park Drive today stem from a series of construction initiatives launched throughout the 1920s, depression era 1930s, and the 1940s.
Wellington Village envelops the transition of Wellington Street to Richmond Road, between Parkdale Avenue and Island Park Drive. Tree lined streets, red brick facades, verandas, and a friendly atmosphere have helped turn this area into one of Ottawa’s trendiest family oriented neighbourhoods. Newer condominium developments complement the original working class homes that have been progressively renovated and improved in value. As this area becomes more affluent, the neighbourhood has evolved into an upscale food and shopping district, taking influence from nearby Westboro. Most amenities are within walking distance, with plenty of park and green spaces for all residents to enjoy. Parkdale market is within walking distance, open from April to Christmas, as are larger grocery centresand specialized gourmet shops. There are active community associations: Wellington West BIA , Wellington Village CA , and Fisher Park Community Recreation Council .