Your access to the datasets
This licence does not grant you any right to use
- Personal Information,
- Information or Records not accessible under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Ontario),
- Third party rights that the ONS is not authorised to access, and
- Information subject to other intellectual property rights, including patents, trade-marks and official marks.
The terms of this licence are important, and if you fail to comply with any of them, any and all rights to access the datasets will end automatically.
Giving the Ottawa Neighbourhood Study credit
You must give ONS credit for each use or reproduction of the datasets by
If you are uncertain about how to appropriately give ONS credit, you must contact the ONS Co-Investigators regarding an appropriate citation.
Upon the request of the ONS, you may be required to remove a credit from future uses or reproductions should the ONS decide that such credit is not in the public interest.
Compliance with law – Your responsibility
You assume sole responsibility for your use and reproduction of the datasets complying with all applicable laws and industry standards.
No warranty with datasets
You get no warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of merchantability and fitness for any purpose. In no event will the Ottawa Neighbourhood Study and its partners be held liable for any direct, special, indirect, inconsequential or other damages howsoever caused as a result of the use of ONS data.
By this, we mean, for example (but without limiting the total intended scope of the preceding sentence) that
- while reasonable efforts have been made in preparing these datasets for use by you, the ONS cannot give any promises as to the completeness, currency, or accuracy of the datasets nor that access will be continuous,
- the ONS cannot make any promise that the datasets are free and clear of any possible third party copyright, moral rights, or other claim,
- the datasets have been modified from their original source, and
- all data visualisations on maps are approximate and include only records that can be mapped.
You accept these datasets on an “as-is, where is” basis and agree to use them at your own risk.
Exclusion of liability
You agree that you will not and cannot sue the ONS, the University of Ottawa, or any of the ONS partners for anything which the ONS does or does not do (even if intentional or negligent) in connection with the datasets and your use or inability to use them. Without limiting the general scope of the preceding sentence, this means that the ONS and its agents are not liable on any legal theory or basis for any direct, incidental, indirect, special, punitive, exemplary, or consequential damages or losses, including without limitation, loss of revenue or anticipated profits, loss of goodwill, loss of business, loss of data, computer failure or malfunction, or any other damages or losses.
Cancellation for non-compliance
You may not publicly represent or imply that the ONS is participating in, or has sponsored, approved, or endorsed the manner or purpose of, your use or reproduction of these datasets.
You may not use any trade-mark, official mark, official emblem or logo, of the ONS, or any of its other references or means of promotion or publicity without the ONS’s prior written consent nor in any event to represent or imply an association or affiliation with the ONS.
Governing law and jurisdiction from which datasets are published